The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

College and Career Center: April 20, 2016

Senior Reminders

Seniors! Graduation is right around the corner! Here are a few end-of-year reminders:

May 1 is the universal deadline to let schools know whether you are accepting their offer of admission or not. This is not a postmarked deadline.

Turn in any scholarship letters that you have received to be recognized in the graduation program. Deadline to C&CC is April 29.

Turn in your final semester transcript request, if the college needs your final grades. Community colleges need your final transcript if you have applied for financial aid. If you are a scholarship athlete, you also need to send your final grades to the NCAA Clearinghouse or NAIA. You can do this now and the registrar’s office will hold your request until your final grades are posted in June.

Going away for college?  This is just a reminder to make travel arrangements for winter break. Check the college’s calendar online to determine their final exam schedule. Allow time for cleaning up your dorm room and for packing. Some dorms close on the last day of finals, so plan accordingly.

Bed, Bath and Beyond has their Pack & Hold Service to make your move to college easy. You can shop here in Hawaii, tell them where to hold your items, then pick everything up at a store near your college. It’s simple, fast and FREE! Pick up information and a coupon in C&CC.

Be sure to turn in your health clearance information (TB test and/or MMR shot record) to the school you will be attending. You will not be able to register for your classes until this is complete.

Don’t forget to thank the teachers and counselors who helped you with your college/scholarship recommendations and mid-year reports.

Our local community colleges are still accepting applications. Go to apply.hawaii.edu to apply.

Males 18 years of age must register with Selective Service. Go to sss.gov for more information. It’s the law!

Still undecided about what to do after graduation? See Mrs. Yamamoto ASAP!

ACT Results Have Arrived

If you took the ACT with us in March, you should have received your test results in the mail. If you did not, see your counselor for a copy of your scores. ASPIRE test results will be disseminated through Advisory at a later time.

Juniors!

Juniors should be getting ready for senior year. Reminders: distribute/collect student evaluation sheets, update your resume, take at least one SAT or ACT test, make an appointment with your counselor, request for letters of recommendation (if applicable) and research your schools. Make an appointment with Mrs. Yamamoto if you need help with your college search or if you have any questions.

Work Permit

Students who need a work permit need to apply online at www.hawaii.gov/labor. You will need to provide an email address and the last four digits of your social security number.

Fee Waivers Avaliable 

Students on free or reduced lunch are available for SAT, ACT and NCAA Clearinghouse fee waivers. See Mrs. Yamamoto, and pick up your fee waiver today.

Volunteer Opportunities

Summer is a great time to do volunteer work. This invaluable experience will give students insights to the world of work. Call companies or organizations and inquire about volunteer opportunities that they offer.

Compiled by College and Career Center Counselor Denise Yamamoto