An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

MHS swim team competes at state championships

By Elise Vasper
(Photo courtesy of Mya Adams (12)) Row 1 (L-R): Emily Travis (10), Cameryn Oshiro (10), Mya Adams (12). Row 2 (L-R): Alex Lee (10), Joshua-Ryan Lujan (10), Steven Camacho (9), Jericho Emile Piansay (12).

The Hawaii High School Athletic Association State championships for swimming were held at the Kamehameha Schools Hilo campus from Feb. 12 to 13. Although none of the 11 swimmers who qualified for the state meet placed in the top six in finals, the MHS students were able to travel to Hilo after an overall excellent season.

“In a way, the season was successful for everyone, whether it was making a best time or placing in a relay. The states meet is more individual because there are more individual events than there are relays, but it’s all about other people’s perspective of how they view swimming,” said Senior Mya Adams.

In regular season as well as the state championships there are individual events along with relay events where swimmers rely on their teammates to finish the race off strong. “(As) an individual, we like to see where we stand amongst our peers and (as) a team it shows where our school in the state of Hawaii,” says Freshman Joshua Lujan, who was able to place in the top five for the Oahu Interscholastic Association Championship. Sophomore Emily Travis said, “(Swimming) is more of a team sport because when we swim, we represent and earn points for our team. More importantly, every time you swim your team is there cheering you on.  I feel like we try harder when we view it as a team sport because we really feel like we are a part of something and our teammates rely on us.”

The team was able to spend a lot of time together throughout the two days of states, and the time leading up to it. “After we got back, we even continued our Uno games at lunch. Being with all of them outside of the pool really helped us bond,” said Travis. Adams said, “The team will be there regardless of how you do in a race, they will always be on the sidelines watching you race your heart out, and it’s the experience of going to state champs that makes everything worth it. All the hours of training and all the preseason and season meets become worth it not only when your team is proud of you but when you’re proud of yourself.”

Some of the swimmers will also be participating in the upcoming water polo season or other spring sports, and hope to push themselves in their last season of the year. As for next season of swimming, although this year’s seniors will not physically be a part of the team, they hope that the underclassmen will be able to do even better next year.