The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Students nominated for 53rd Regional Scholastic Art Awards

By Nick Malae

Scholastic WinnersThis year marked the 53rd annual Scholastic Art Awards. Out of 100 entries, six students from MHS were nominated for gold and silver keys in categories of drawing and painting as well as photography. The winners were chosen in January and the pieces are on exhibition from Feb. 19 to April 15 at the Hawaii State Art Museum.

“Art has always been about expression and making your mark on the world. While I was at the the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards all that came to my mind was the quote by the late Alan Rickman, ‘If life could be a little more tender, and art a little more robust.’ Every piece told a story. It was extremely rewarding to be a part of it, and to have my picture displayed at the Hawaii State Art Museum. There was this blackboard where all the awardees got to write their name and I thought that was great, in a sense, we all made our mark,” said Sophomore Isabelle Rice.

At the beginning of each year, Fine Arts teacher Ruth Ravina-Koethe recommends  the students in her class to participate in the competition. “It’s up to the teacher to let the students know about the art contest and then help them get registered for the contest. I’ll let them know ahead of time; ‘Oh, I think this piece is worthy of getting into the art contest, so I need you to either finish it up or we need to get this entered.’ I know the type of criteria the judges are looking at and it’s super high quality,” said Ravina-Koethe.   

The nominees included Seniors Winifred Gallogly, Austin Herrera and Kailee Morikubo, Junior Spencer Ilagan and Sophomores Anthony Ezell and Isabelle Rice. Even though this might be the last contest some seniors can participate in, many plan to continue their passion for art after high school. “I’d like to because I have a lot of cameras and a lot of film left over and I am really passionate about photography and I like doing different things with it and seeing what my ideas look like when I get them out of my head and onto paper,” said Gallogly.

Throughout the contest, everyone who submitted a piece was able to improve their artistic skills and get recognized for their hard work. Even if they didn’t win, they can use the experience gained to make their future work even better.