An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Girls varsity paddling makes history, first MHS semifinalists at states

By Minh Tu Ung
(Photo courtesy of Coach Jackie Kaya) (L-R): Tiare Ah Nee (12), Tashiana Ah Nee (11), Ilikea Adams (12), Konaialohaia Brown (11), Kady Pascual (12), Danielle Silva (11) and Kalena Baptista (11) work together to race at Keehi Lagoon.

For the first time in MHS canoe paddling history, the girls varsity paddling team made it to the Hawaii High School Athletic Association Championships. The best schools across the state competed against each other in the half-mile race at Keehi Lagoon on Feb. 6, but the girls were stopped in their tracks at the semifinals, losing the chance to compete at finals by just a few seconds. Nevertheless, through the championships, the girls created close bonds and continued to be proud of their performance this season, which was their best yet.

“We always stayed up there, we never ever came in last, all season. We all pushed together, we trained together. I was proud of our girls crew because it was hard work and we had so much dedication,” said Senior Ilikea Adams.

The girls finished their last race at semifinals with a time of 04:48.82. “I’m really just proud of my whole team, my crew especially, but really my team because we really just gave it (our) all and we did the best we could and it really showed off at the end when we made it to states,” stated Junior Konaialohaia Brown. Adams added, “We were so happy, the last race, because it all depends on your time. We were trying so hard because we knew it’s just by seconds, point seconds. It’s tough because you’re in the water, you don’t know if you’re going to make it or not so you have to come out, and you have to wait for the officials to print out the score sheets, so it was super nerve-wracking.”

Making states led to stronger bonds between the girls in the varsity team, composed of just 11 paddlers. “We were so much closer after we got into states and we just bonded so much more knowing that we all made it. I think we did really good, just working as a team, we really got along and that’s really the point of paddling,” Brown stated. Adams added, “We’re all best friends, we hang out like every day, so we’re all super close and we all work well with each other so it’s easier that way.”

Stepping in for Coach Keith Foo this season, who sustained an injury from the past season, was Coach Tavita Maea. “I’m not sure about MHS paddling history, but I have been coaching here for 3 years now and this has been our best season. Our JV boys (took) second place overall for OIA championships—first place for OIA West—and varsity girls got to the state championships. The state race was great for our varsity girls to gain the experience and to compete against the fastest crews in the state,” Maea stated. “Getting to states is our goal so the paddlers are able to gain the experience and to gauge what we need to work on for next season.”

Although the girls varsity paddling team didn’t make it to the finals of the state championships, they were able to challenge themselves and in turn strengthen their abilities and relationships with each other.