Clash of heroes in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Lee wins by submission at MMA ONE Championship

By Caitlyn Resurreccion
(Photo courtesy of Ken Lee) Christian Lee (12) (left) declared the winner against Mahmoud Mohamed at the ONE Championship: Clash of Heroes in Kuala Lumpur. Lee spent a month in Singapore undergoing training to be in top shape for the match.

Representing Evolve MMA Singapore, Senior Christian Lee appeared in his second professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) match as one of the youngest male fighters to take the cage at the age of 17. Lee defeated Mahmoud Mohamed of Egypt at the ONE Championship: Clash of Heroes event at Stadium Negara located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Jan. 29.

“I love being in the cage. Those three rounds. Every one of them lasting 5 minutes. I have a sudden rush of adrenaline running through my body. The sooner I get back in the cage, the better,” said Lee.

As it was his second time entering the ONE cage, Lee continued his undefeated streak of 2-0 after defeating Mohamed by Kimura submission, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu double joint arm lock which applies pressure to the shoulders of the opponent, with 2 minutes, 20 seconds left in the first round. “Shocking isn’t really a strong enough word to describe how I felt. There were times when I felt as if he was gaining the upper hand,” expressed Lee. “I give a round of applause to (Mohamed) because he is an amazing fighter. I’m really glad I was able to fight against a fighter like him.”

Although Lee is celebrated as an international fighter as well as a local prodigy, he still remains humble and is reminded that no task is too small. “It’s tough. School, practice, homework and chores. On top of that, doctor’s visits, getting into shape and staying in shape,” Lee said. “But when I come home, I still have the same chores and lifestyle as any other kid.” Lee’s father, Ken Lee, added, “I’m proud of him. He’s always making his family proud. I always tell him to represent your family and culture.”

Lee began his fighting career at the age of 5. Since then, he has competed in karate, kickboxing and jiu jitsu as a child and furthered his fighting credentials with wrestling and judo in high school. “Fighting is in my family. My mom and dad were professional fighters so naturally I would grow up to be one,” Lee said. Lee is a local five-time kickboxing champion and the reigning state amateur under-20 MMA champion.

The passion Lee has for fighting stems from his family, which has served as his main source of inspiration throughout his years as an athlete. “What initially inspired me was my family. I know they support me and invest so much time to train me. That’s all I want to do. Make them proud,” Lee said. Lee’s sister, MHS alumna and professional MMA fighter Angela Lee, has supported Lee for all his life. “Whenever he is in the cage, I can’t help but feel scared but proud of him. He’s my little brother and I never want to see him hurt,” Angela Lee stated. “However, me being a fighter too, I understand where he comes from so I’m always standing in his corner.”

Furthermore, Lee has felt the constant support of his trainers throughout the months of training for the event. In order to prepare for the fight, Lee spent a month away from home to train at the Evolve MMA gym headquarters located in Singapore. “They don’t get the credit they deserve,” Lee said. “Without them, I wouldn’t know the condition of my body, the training best suited for me. Things like that. It’s all the little things that they do that get me to the position I am at today.”

Although the status of the ONE: Union Of Warrior event taking place on March 18 at the Thuwanna Indoor Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar is still undetermined due to a possible injury from Lee’s opponent. Lee remains dedicated to his training, and is ready to get back in the cage as soon as possible.