An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Paradise comes to paradise: Hawaii trumps American Samoa, 47-22, at football classic

By Matthew Feria
(Photo courtesy of Rod York) Bringing new friendships together, the Junior Prep Sports America Paradise Classic (JPSPC) gave players a new feeling of camaraderie between schools.
(Photo courtesy of Rod York) Bringing new friendships together, the Junior Prep Sports America Paradise Classic (JPSPC) gave players a new feeling of camaraderie between schools.tudent

Seniors Makana O Ke Kai Tauai, Kaimana Padello, Kalakaua Timoteo, Maa Tanuvasa Jr. and Ricardo Sallas took part in the Junior Prep Sports America Paradise Classic (JPSPC) at Aloha Stadium on Jan. 7 and 9, representing MHS on the Hawaii west team, while fellow trojans Senior Bryson Ventura, Senior Elias Pritchard and Senior Kahewai Kaaiawaawa played on the Northern California team. The championship involved Hawaii East, West, Northern California and American Samoa, ending with the West team winning first place, defeating American Samoa 47-22.

“They are competing against different cultures, including the mainland guys, so they got to experience it and they learned that it’s very competitive, no matter where you play,” said Head Coach Rod York.

The final game against American Samoa brought new challenges to the students that they had not experienced before. “American Samoa, they came to play. I know American Samoa practiced for three weeks before they came up to come in and play the California team, as well as play us for the championship. The American Samoan team was really well coached, and they brought their A game,” said Tanuvasa. York added, “(They) had speed we hadn’t seen before.”

The game also brought players together across high school rivalries, forging new friendships to last through the college years. “It’s a great experience for those kids to go, you know you have rivalries in high school against other schools and you don’t know the other kids because you’re in (a) helmet, and there’s a lot of stuff going on, and when you come to something like that, you get to know the guys you are playing against and form a bond, a friendship knowing that hopefully you guys (will) be playing (together) somewhere at the college level,” said Tanuvasa.

The teams were made up mostly of players who went through the Junior Prep Sports America (JPS) preparatory program, bringing new groups of people with the same passion together and changing the entire meaning of the game from a competition to something bigger. “That game wasn’t about winning, it was about comradery and sportsmanship, competing, you got Northern California involved, you have two teams from Hawaii, East and West, and the American Samoa team, so it was more of a goodwill game,” said York.

Besides the new friendships that emerged, the main goal of football was also achieved; to be a fun and competitive game where the players leave the field better people. The game will likely continue to next year, with new players from the next graduating class. “Well, we can go again next year. Hopefully they have it again next year, because it was really successful, and hopefully the main goal is to further the education of these kids through football,” said Tanuvasa.

This being the first year that the JPS had a high school all-star team and already showing great promise, coaches look forward to continuing this competition for future generations. The championship brought new lessons to the players, teaching them more about football and what it means to be a Trojan.