An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

CTAA’s fall play captures a piece of audiences’ hearts

By Paul Park
(Paul Park | Trojan Times) Performing “A Piece of My Heart,” CTAA inspired their audience after an phenomenal performance about the nightmares women serving in the Vietnam War faced, and the difficulties of adapting back to life at home.

On Nov. 13, 14, 20 and 21, Central Theatre Arts Academy (CTAA) put on their fall production, “A Piece of My Heart.” The story followed women from the United States in the Vietnam War, and the tragic experiences they overcame before and after their service. Actors and play production students alike dedicated weeks to constructing and rehearsing the play, in an effort to make the performance smooth and meaningful.

“The practices were super fun, we have a really great cast, so there were always jokes, so even though it’s a really heavy play and there’s a lot of deaths and other really kind of downer stuff, we always were able to have a good laugh and be able to get stuff done and get it done quickly, too,” said Senior Veronica Davis, who played Martha.

Due to the limited amount of time to learn the script, the cast dedicated many hours of their school and personal life to the play. The cast started practicing in August and met three times a week from 3 to 5:30 p.m. “It is very time consuming and it is a huge commitment on the part of the students who agree to be cast in the show,” said Director Julia LoPresti.

There was as much effort put backstage as there was on the front stage. Play production was in charge of building the set, and also helped to manage the lighting and other aspects of the play put in just as much work. Although stressful for both groups, it was a very strong bonding experience for them. “We couldn’t have done it without the other(s),” said Davis.

The crew for this play also included students from other high schools, such as Audrey Wills from Radford High School who played Whitney and Jordan Greene from Moanalua High School, a member of the ensemble. “Mililani High School is where the learning center for performing arts is housed, and so we encourage other public school students around our neighborhood to come and participate because it is really a program that’s for all public school students, not just Mililani High School,” said LoPresti.

Like any production, the months of hard work that the crew put into the final product were essential for its success, but the emotional connections that were made in the process were just as meaningful. “I’m very proud of the work they have put into this play because it’s very emotionally challenging to bring these stories to life because it’s based (on) true stories from women who served in Vietnam, and so I think it was a real learning experience for the students involved,” said LoPresti.

Despite the recent end of “A Piece of My Heart” showings, LoPresti has already began working on a musical. “Mary Poppins,” will open during spring in hopes that it will be just as great.