An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

With a strong family backing, Malepeai recieves first Marcus Mariota Award

By Caitlyn Resurreccion
(Photo courtesy of Matthew Capps) Vavae Malepeai (12) and Kahuku Head Coach Vavae Tata after the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) championship game on Oct. 30. Malepeai led the team in rushing yards with a total of 16 carries for 92 yards.

Oregon Ducks Running Back commit Senior Vavae Malepeai ends his prep football  career as the state’s all-time leader in rushing touchdowns and yards. In return for his dedication to the sport, Malepeai received the Marcus Mariota award, which is given to student athletes based on the players’ athletic skill, academics and character.

“I look up to (Mariota). All of his achievements when he was in Oregon, when he was announced the Heisman trophy winner, it reminds all young athletes from the island that you can be Polynesian or just a kid from Hawaii and still come out as the best,” stated Malepeai. “Through faith, family and hard work, anything is possible.”

In his last season, Malepeai passed Iolani’s Joe Igber’s record of 4,428 yards and 56 touchdowns set in 1999 and became Hawaii’s all-time leading rusher with a career total of 4,549 yards and 71 touchdowns in the three seasons he has played. “Records are records,” Malepeai stated. “The mentality I have in the game is not so much ‘How many touchdowns I’m going to get’ but rather ‘Play with my heart on my sleeve, play for my family and play for the man above.’ I guess I’ll look back on this one day and say, ‘Oh wow, I did that.’”

The passion Malepeai has for football stems from his family, who served as his main source of inspiration throughout his years as an athlete. “What initially inspired me was my family,” expressed Malepeai. “Making them proud is really the best feeling ever.” Head Coach Rod York added, “You know, (Malepeai) has been doing what he was doing ever since he was born. From youth even to now, that’s just the way he is.”

After a long day of school and practice, Malepeai still has time to care for his family. A part of the Malepeai household is Leiloa Malepeai, Vavae Malepeai’s younger brother. “He truly is an inspiration. He’s kind of my motivation I guess,” said Vavae Malepeai. “He doesn’t get to experience that. So when I’m down, or thinking about taking the day off or slacking a little bit, I think how (my brother) doesn’t have the opportunity to be on the field.”

Although Vavae Malepeai is celebrated state and nationwide as a four star running back, he is just Vavae Malepeai when he comes home to his family. “When I come home, I’m just my mom and dad’s son, Vavae Malepeai. There’s no title; that’s a part of my name. I thank them for instilling in me to not let the success get to my head and always be humble,” Vavae Malepeai said. Vavae Malepeai’s mother, Tali Malepeai, added, “I’m proud of him. He’s always making his family proud. I always tell him to represent your family, state, team and culture.”

This year, however, with Quarterback Senior McKenzie Milton’s shoulder injury late in the Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) season, the team looked to Vavae Malepeai as a source of leadership, which has provided him an opportunity to seek greater responsibility. “I would consider myself somewhat (of) a leader. There’s a lot of other things that I have to work on,” said Vavae Malepeai. “Slowly but surely, it’s a hard process. (York) always tells us to make unpopular popular. Sometimes it’s hard, but with the help of my brothers it’ll get easier.”

Furthermore, Vavae Malepeai has felt the constant support of his teammates throughout the season and he attributes the Marcus Mariota award to them as well. Wide Receiver Senior Kalakaua Timoteo added, “I let him know when he is out of line and by catching his back, no matter the circumstances. He is a brother to me, taking the field with family is one of the best feelings that can’t be explained.”

While this may be Vavae Malepeai’s senior year, he still continues to embrace his passion for football and intends to complete his high school career playing in the Army All-American Invitational on Jan. 9 in San Antonio, Texas.