The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Schiller places first at XTerra Freedom Fest Triathlon

By Harlan Rose
(Photo courtesy of Brandee Schiller (12)) Brandee Schiller (12) also qualified for the XTerra National Championships in Utah, but will only be attending the world championships.

On July 4, Senior Brandee Schiller participated in the XTerra Freedom Fest Triathlon at Kualoa Ranch. After dedicating many hours to training for the event, she was able to take first place in the female’s age 15 to 19 category and advance to the XTerra World Championships, which will be held on Maui on Nov. 1.

“(The triathlon) was one of the most mentally demanding races I’ve ever done. It’s mountain biking, so you’re on the mountain, going up hills and it’s really intense,” said Schiller. “It’s nothing I’ve really experienced before but sometimes you kind of just want to stop, but you’ve got to keep going. But I loved it. It was great.”

In preparing for the triathlon, Schiller dedicated many hours during the summer to training. “Being involved in the school’s cross country and swim teams, I have a background of being really strong in swimming and running, of course, and so it’s just like daily practices of that. And then on the side, I would bike on my stationary or on the roads,” explained Schiller.

Despite the difficulty of the race, Schiller was ecstatic when she learned she had qualified for the XTerra World Championships. “I was stoked. I’m still in high school and to qualify for world championships, like, wow,” expressed Schiller. Senior Kiana Caranto, who participates in cross country with Schiller, said, “I was really happy for Brandee when I found out she qualified for worlds. I know that she’s worked really hard with her triathlon training to get to where she is and she deserves it.”

In her preparation for the World Championships, Schiller is participating in the cross country season while continuing to swim and bike on the side. “Right now I’m in cross country season, so I’m just trying to build my endurance for running and swimming. I’m trying to swim about two to three, about two times a week, and then biking, trying to get on the trails at least once a week and then bike around in Mililani once or twice a week, just to be good at all the three aspects of the triathlon event,” explained Schiller.

In addition to her physical training, Schiller has felt the moral support of her friends and family while preparing for the world triathlon. “My teammates from cross country and swimming have good sportsmanship and helped keep the competition amongst one another alive the whole season, which resulted in better performances contributing to the triathlon,” expressed Schiller. “My parents are my supporters and I literally couldn’t be where I am without their continuous love, faith and mentorship for me.”

The XTerra World Championship Triathlon takes place on Nov. 1, one day after the Hawaii High School Athletic Association state cross country championships. “I don’t really know what to expect because the day before the event is cross country states, and I’m planning on doing both, so I just want to know on the day of the triathlon race how I’ll feel, if I’ll feel really tired or something,” explained Schiller. Nonetheless, her cross country teammates feel that she will be able to participate well in both. Senior Jacob Chang said, “I have no doubt that she will be able to compete competitively in both events. (Schiller) isn’t the type of person to quit when things get tough, and two races in a row is no exception.”

While the world triathlon is her current focus, Schiller plans to participate in more triathlons in the future. “I would like to compete in the Iron Man. That’s a long-term goal of mine, probably after college,” said Schiller. “I just love triathlons, (they’re) the best, and I encourage a lot of people to get out of their comfort zone and try it out.”

Apart from her focus on the XTerra World Championships Triathlon, Schiller will continue her involvement in the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps.