Boys, Girls Varsity Tennis Take OIA Team Championship Titles

master

By Jannah Kalai

(Photo courtesy of Ariana York (12)) Not only have both the Boys and Girls Varsity Tennis (above) teams run an almost undefeated season, both claimed the championship against Pearl City. The team OIA Championships is based on time and first to win.

Both the MHS Boys and Girls OIA Varsity Tennis Teams won the OIA Team Championship, the ninth consecutive for Lady Trojans. On April 8, at Central Oahu Regional Park the two teams swept away Pearl City for the title.

“It felt good to end my last varsity tennis match with a win, but it felt even better to have been able to play alongside my teammates for the last time. This year’s team is one of the closest teams out of my four years playing varsity tennis. We all supported one another, pushed each other to get better, and had so much fun at the same time. When I look back on this season, I won’t necessarily remember the wins and loses, but more so the memories I’ve made with my team and coaches,” stated one girls team Captain Senior Haley Fujimori.

The win was both a team and personal achievement for many of the athletes. “This season has been really enjoyable, but at the same time, tough for me. I got injured and wasn’t playing well in the beginning of the season. God, along with my supportive coaches, teammates and family have been so loving and encouraging to help me push through the rough moments. I’m really excited for what the rest of the season has in store,” stated Fujimori. “Some of the high school teams have a few good players that make the matches exciting. But, the match against Pearl City is always the most exciting because they’re our rivals and our biggest competition in the West Division,” stated second of three team Captains Senior Erin Jyo. “The camaraderie between the girls team and the boys team is awesome. We all get along so well and it feels like one big extended family. It’s always a fun time when we’re together.”

With a majority senior team it not only solidifies the past standard, but also makes another memorable memory for the last year on the team. “A team win is different from an individual win because it is a reflection of the teamwork and contribution by all the girls on the team, rather than just one person,” stated Fujimori. Jyo elaborated, “This win was one of the best moments of my senior year so far.  The OIA title is a big thing for us because we work hard throughout the season to keep it in our school. And to be able to win the title again with these amazing and hard-working girls is something I’ll never forget. It feels so great to end my high school team tennis career on such a high note.”

With the OIA title under their belt, the win marks the closing of a season for seniors, and a legacy to uphold for underclassmen.