Six groups one cause: Music department hosts concert for elementary schools

By Paul Park
(Paul Park | Trojan Times) Band Director Curtis Hiyane conducts the MHS band students in order to help them keep pace with the song as the elementary students watch.

After months of preparation, the MHS String Ensemble, Drumline, Select Choir, Prima Voce, Winter Guard and Symphonic Wind Ensemble performed for Mililani Waena, Ike and Mauka Elementary Schools on Jan. 26. This was the first year MHS has hosted such a performance, which was designed to capture the elementary students’ attention in order to generate interest in music in the future.

“The bigger picture is to just expose elementary students to the different musical elements that we have at the high school. So knowing that it’s not just chorus, it’s not just band; there are many  different elements that they can be involved in, in terms of music,” said Band Director Curtis Hiyane.

The performance was well received on all fronts; the performers were optimistic that the children will be positively affected by this experience. “I thought it was very well received just by the response of the students; they were very enthusiastic (and quiet), which isn’t easy for that age sometimes,” Hiyane said. Choral Director Keane Ishii added, “We were very happy with how it all turned out, and we plan to do it again next year as well.”

The results were not without work, however; planning started last year and required approval from various groups. MHS had to get permission from principals to release students from school. “I started the preliminary plans, asked the theater schools if they’d be interested, and our department was willing to do it so once they gave us the go then we just planned it,” said Kristi Higuchi Delos-Santos, the primary planner for the event.

After the initial approval, students began preparing the songs that they would perform. The aim of the concert was to grab students’ attention and hold it throughout the piece. To accomplish this, they chose fast-paced exciting songs such as “He’s a Pirate” from “Pirates of the Caribbean”, as well as popular, catchy songs such as the “Cup Song” from “Pitch Perfect.” These tactics proved very successful, as was shown in the students’ reactions throughout the performance.

Planning for next year has not yet started, but the enthusiastic feedback from the students has the music department hoping to continue the event in the coming years and bring in new generations of music students.