The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Platten, MHS students start a ‘Wildfire’ at Pro Bowl for a legenday performance

By Kelikoaelakauaikekai Gongob
(Photo courtesy of Aaron Gould) The MHS Marching Band, Color Guard and Chorus members in a five hour rehearsal practicing their pregame performance with Rachel Platten and her team the day before the Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium.

Performing with popular songwriter and artist Rachel Platten to perform songs from her new album “Wildfire,” the MHS Marching Band, Color Guard and Chorus, along with several dance and music groups, took to the stage during the pregame show of the 2016 Annual Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium; this is the the first time MHS has participated in the event.

“Learning that we were going to be performing for a national audience again, along with doing so alongside a well known artist, it was really something,” said color guard member Junior Tyler Kamisato.

Time for practices was short, with the band requested to perform a week before the Pro Bowl.“We had to learn two songs in three days. In total, we had three two hour practices, and it was absolutely insane,” said color guard member Sophomore Aimee Vinta. “It went on straight into the night, and by the time we finished most of us were beyond exhausted.”

The most strenuous practice was the day prior to the game. Tuba Sophomore Caleb Sato said, “During dress practice on the Saturday before the game, the weather was intense and it was difficult, seeing as we were only provided with one break. It took a lot of effort to tell myself to keep going, because other people were depending on me, depending on us to pull through.” Color guard member Junior Jessica Watari said, “This wasn’t like your normal practice, this was something that seemed rather new to us, it’s like we weren’t high (school students) anymore and this wasn’t just marching band. It was something more, something bigger.”    

For the marching band, this was an exciting new task. “I think it was a great opportunity for us,” said color guard member Senior Kayla Rae Uchima. “It was the first time that Mililani High School got to perform during the Pro Bowl, and I feel like that’s a blessing. It really just kind of puts us out there and lets people know we mean something.”

With the final pregame, came relief that the stress was finally over. “I’m really proud of all the work everyone put into this. To learn and perform two totally new songs and routines in the short time span that we were provided. It was hard, but we came through and did not disappoint,” said Watarai. “Although the thought sounded near impossible, I knew everyone was capable of pulling through, and sure enough we came through with flying colors.”

Platten herself insisted that they added something to the performance that she couldn’t bring on her own. “I’m glad that they all took the time to practice and perform with me,” said Platten. “I mean, sure I could have done it with just my people, but having the bands here made it better. They were like the icing on the cake.”

For now, the MHS Marching Band will still be practicing until their next season starts in late May or early June. They will be preparing to welcome the new faces of next year, and are hoping to match, if not surpass, their past performances.