The Cost of Paradise
Dannika Pila and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Left to right: Trumpets Rylan Akau-Morgan, Peyton Kahiapo and Skylar Hamasu stand in first position during the City of Lights Parade on Dec. 2.
Great Minds Think Alike: Collaborations Between Mililani Schools
Gianna Brown and Arie YamasakiFebruary 7, 2024
Senior Marcus Morifuji faces off against senior Ava Mayfield in a game of chess. The Tabletop Gaming Club
hosted its first chess tournament on Nov. 30, any student was welcome to participate.
Checkmate! Tabletop Gaming Club Hosts Chess Tournament
Marcus Morifuji, Sports Editor • February 6, 2024

Swim team finishes roaring season, top five in OIA championships

By Minh Tu Ung
(Photo courtesy of John Adams) Mya Adams (12) (middle), captain of the girls’ swim team, dives into the water to compete individually for varsity championships, leading to the placement of fourth for girls’ swimming.

Although the MHS Swim team lost many of their best swimmers last year, they pushed through many challenges and recently finished an outstanding season by achieving first at the 2016 Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Western Championships, held on Jan. 22. The team also received fourth place for girls’ swimming and third for boys’ in the OIA Swimming and Diving varsity championships, held on Jan. 29 and 30 at the Veteran’s Memorial Aquatic Center in Waipio, and competed against other public schools across the island.

“This season was awesome. Though we lost a handful of our good swimmers – because they had either moved or graduated – we also gained some pretty fast, dedicated freshmen.  Whether it was an individual or team event, every swimmer put their heart into it,” stated Senior Jericho Emile Piansay, captain of the boys’ team.

The swim team had great success with relays, especially during the western championships, with high performance from both upper and lowerclassmen. In fact, three sophomores and four freshmen had placed third and higher in various categories, from breaststroke to butterfly for the westerns. One of those sophomores, Cameryn Oshiro, placed 6th and 5th in 50 meter freestyle and 100 meter butterfly respectively, and is moving onto states. Girls’ team Captain Senior Mya Adams stated, “This year, my team was my family, I couldn’t be prouder of the bunch of people I got to swim with over this past season because all of us accomplished so much in our individual races.”

Piansay was the leading swimmer for the boys at the championships by achieving second in the finals of 100 meter backstroke and third for 100 meter freestyle, and also were one of the few who moved to states. “Why I like to swim is beyond making fast times and breaking personal records. I enjoy being in the water with my teammates whom have also become very close friends,” said Piansay.

Coach Travis Suemori has been coaching the MHS Swim team for two seasons and dedicates himself to training the swimmers for the championships. “I like helping swimmers to work hard and reach their maximum potential in the water, as well as out. It’s important to help them acquire skills that will make them better swimmers and will also be useful once their swimming careers are over, things like: dedication, work ethic, attention to detail, time management, competitiveness, etc.,” Suemori said. Piansay added, “Coach (Suemori’s) training sets pushed our bodies and (minds) beyond their limits. It has made the team stronger. I love the fact that egos were pushed aside and no matter how tough the days were, we all pulled ourselves out of the pool with smiles. We are a team.”

For these swimmers, the very first step to success begins at home. “I owe a lot of my success to my mother. She was the one that introduced me to the water world. She motivated me when I was down and stood by me every step of the way. Not a day missed when she packed my snacks, drove me to those many early morning meets and always congratulated me with, ‘You did great and I love you!’ no matter what my times were or how tough my days were,” said Piansay. Adams added, “My parents were always the ones with the big camera with the huge lens taking pictures of my teammates and myself. They have been there through almost every meet and every race and I have no idea where I would be without their support and excitement with this fantastic sport that I do.”

The MHS Swim team will be competing next at the Hawaii High School Athletics Association State Championships in Hilo on Feb. 12 and 13, bringing their season to an end.