An array of greenery surrounds the statue, which is a center piece to Mililani High School’s campus. MHS continues to add and improve landscaping around campus.
New Plants Bloom Around Campus
Kayla Hovanian, Writer • April 10, 2024

Trojans tough it out against Crusaders, take third in state

By Robbie Evans
(Photo courtesy of Matthew Capps) Although the game ended in a loss, the team has continued to support each other, as shown by Kalakaua Timoteo (12) and Vavae Malepeai (12).
(Photo courtesy of Matthew Capps) Although the game ended in a loss, the team has continued to support each other, as shown by Kalakaua Timoteo (12) and Vavae Malepeai (12).

On Nov. 13, the varsity football team challenged the St. Louis Crusaders at Aloha Stadium for the chance to play in the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) State Football Championships. Although the Trojans fought valiantly the whole way through, the Crusaders prevailed, ending the game with a score of 30-56, making MHS third in the state. This defeat, however, did not diminish the Trojans’ spirit and the team is proud of their teamwork.

“Well, we’re just a little disappointed, but we’re not defeated. This is one of those things that you really got to work hard for it, but six turnovers wasn’t going to do it,” said Head Coach Rod York.

The game started off slow during the first quarter, with MHS scoring the first touchdown, keeping both teams on their toes and racing to pull ahead. By the end of the first quarter, they ended up tied with a score of 14-14. However, the race was soon to turn into St. Louis’ favor during the second quarter, when Quarterback Senior McKenzie Milton was illegally blindsided while throwing the ball to Wide Receiver Senior Bryson Ventura and injured the same shoulder that had just recovered from a grade III AC separation. This penalty put Milton on the sidelines in an arm sling for the rest of the game. York said, “It was pretty serious. He was out all game and he’s out for six weeks, but he’ll be okay, he’s a big boy.”

After this setback, the Crusaders steadily grew momentum scoring a total of five more touchdowns in the second quarter leaving the score at 14-49. This did not come without cost to the Crusaders, as they earned themselves 11 penalties in the first half alone.

In the last half of the game, the Trojans fought hard to slow the opposing team down, allowing them to score only one touchdown in the third quarter and earning two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Although MHS worked hard to slow the momentum down for the other team, keeping them on their toes the whole game, this was not enough in the end as they ended the game with a total score of 30-56. Defensive End Senior Frederick Liva said, “It was really hard on the guys because obviously we didn’t expect to lose and we were hoping for a win, but I mean what happened– it’s life, it happens and I know they’ll do good and come back stronger next year.”

In light of this defeat, the team stays true to the Trojan spirit and have already started preparing for the next season. “I mean, life goes on.  Besides the fact that our season is done, there’s nothing we can do to turn back time so it’s just a matter of picking up and getting better,” said Running Back Senior Vavae Malepeai.

Although the season is over, the bond that these teammates have gained from playing together has become something to remember. “There were 90 kids on the team,” said Malepeai. “After the trips and after the team camp and stuff everyone just kind of got closer together and just started talking jokes more and the bond just grew.”

While the game ended with a loss, the lessons learned and the bonds created during this season have been enough to strengthen the team forever. As the team turns over a new leaf, it is also waving farewell to a few of its star players including Milton, Malepeai and Wide Reciever Senior Kalakaua Timoteo, but they will be remembered forever as the mightiest of Trojans.